New maps will take effect on Nov. 4
Sarasota County will host six open houses starting Monday, June 20, to address changes to Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) floodplain maps, which will take effect Nov. 4, the county has announced.
The open houses, which will be held in multiple locations and will feature staff members from both the county and the municipalities, will provide members of the public the opportunity to ask questions about potential changes to flood zones, a county news release says.
The digitized flood maps, which are available for review, indicate whether a property’s flood risk has changed, the release explains. Changes may necessitate that homeowners without flood insurance secure such coverage concurrent with the new flood maps becoming effective this fall, the release points out.
Each of the open houses will be held from 4 to 7 p.m. at the following locations:
- June 20, Venice Community Center, 326 Nokomis Ave., Venice.
- June 21, Englewood Sports Complex, 1300 S. River Road, Englewood.
- June 23, Morgan Family Community Center, 6207 W. Price Blvd., North Port.
- June 27, Southgate Community Center, 3145 Southgate Circle, Sarasota.
- June 28, Nokomis Community Park, 234 Nippino Trail E., Nokomis.
- June 29, Sarasota Municipal Auditorium, 801 N. Tamiami Trail, Sarasota.
To view individual property parcels, visit www.scgov.net/floodmaps.
For more information, call the Sarasota County Contact Center at 941-861-5000 or visit www.scgov.net.