Eight local convenience store clerks were cited for selling alcohol to a minor during the most recent undercover operation conducted by the Sarasota County Sheriff’s Office’s Juvenile Alcohol Task force, Aug. 9-10, the office has reported.
The following businesses were found to be in violation of selling alcohol to a person under 21, and each of the clerks was issued a misdemeanor Notice to Appear:
• Circle K, 1883 S Tamiami Trail, Venice
• Shamrock Food Store, 738 Shamrock Blvd., Venice
• Race Track, 410 S Tamiami Trail, Nokomis
• Mobil, 8445 S Tamiami Trail, Sarasota
• Shell, 6991 S Tamiami Trail, Sarasota
• Save On, 2522 Stickney Point Road, Sarasota
• Shell, 13280 Tamiami Trail, North Port
• Mobil, 1060 Plantation Blvd., North Port
Another 31 businesses were found to be in compliance and were sent a letter to commend owners and employees for helping reduce the sale of alcohol to minors, a Sheriff’s Office news release says.
This is the second operation conducted in the past two months, resulting in a combined 14 store clerks being cited for selling alcohol to minors.
The first operation was conducted in mid-July. The stores found in violation then were as follows:
• Save On 2800 Bee Ridge Road, Sarasota
• Radiant, 5761 Bee Ridge Road, Sarasota
• Citgo 4529 Bee Ridge Road, Sarasota
• Save On, 1135 Beneva Road, Sarasota
• Shell Circle K, 13280 S. Tamiami Trail, North Port
• 7-11 1011 N. Sumter Blvd., North Port
Another 53 businesses were found to be in compliance during that operation, the Sheriff’s Office reported.
Sheriff Tom Knight said in July that his office would continue undercover operations to deter sales of alcohol to minors.