Electrical problem suspected in house fire in Tamaron community, while similar situation involving Siesta Key condominium resolved without damage

Tamaron incident under investigation

A residential fire in the Tamaron community of Sarasota that was reported at 3:22 a.m. on Sunday, Sept. 18, may have been caused by an electrical issue, the Sarasota County Sheriff’s Office reported in an advisory.

The home is located in the 1400 block of Palmwood Drive, the alert said. “The resident is safe,” the Sheriff’s Office alert pointed out.

Palmwood Drive is south of Bahia Vista Street and west of McIntosh Road, a map shows.

Motorists were asked to avoid the area while firefighters were on the scene.

The incident is under investigation, the Sheriff’s Office added.

The Sarasota News Leader requested a copy of the Sarasota County Fire Department report, but it had not received that by the deadline for this issue. County staff indicated that the report had not been completed.

Unlike the Tamaron incident, an electrical problem at a home on Siesta Key did not result in a fire, as noted in the Fire Department report on that situation.

Just after midnight on Monday, Sept. 12, a resident of a condominium in the complex standing at 137 Avenida Messina reported a suspected problem with electrical wiring or equipment, the report says.

Upon arrival, the report explains, the crew from Fire Station 13 initially saw no signs of a problem. However, the property owner told the firefighters that he had smelled and seen smoke coming from his air conditioning vents.

After the firefighters and EMS personnel entered the condominium, the report continues, they “found a light haze and an electrical smell. The entire unit was searched,” the report adds, but they did not discover any heat or fire.

As the air handler was not inside the condominium, the report says, the Station 13 personnel went up on the roof to try to narrow down the smell to the air conditioning system. When the took a panel off the equipment, the report adds, they discovered “burned wires, burning electrical smell and a very warm motor.” They disconnected power to the air conditioning equipment and to the affected condominium, the report adds.

“No other hazards found at this time,” the report notes.

Altogether, 19 Fire Department crew members responded to the call, the report points out. They arrived at 12:45 a.m., with the last of them leaving at 1:18 a.m.

Leave a Comment