Garbage and recycling will not be collected on the holiday
City and County of Sarasota administrative offices will be closed onMonday, Sept. 2, in observance of Labor Day, both local governments have announced.
No garbage, recycling or yard waste will be collected on Monday in the city or county, news releases point out.
In the city, the Monday collection will occur on Tuesday, and the Tuesday collection will take place on Wednesday, the release adds. Thursday and Friday collections will not be interrupted.
In the county, however, the collections will be delayed a day the rest of next week, as follows:
- Tuesday, Sept. 3: collection for Monday customers.
- Wednesday, Sept. 4: collection for Tuesday customers.
- Thursday, Sept. 5: collection for Wednesday customers.
- Friday, Sept. 6: collection for Thursday customers.
- Saturday, Sept. 7: collection for Friday customers.
The county landfill will remain open until 5 p.m. on Saturday, Sept. 7, because of the holiday collection schedule, the county news release says; however, the construction and demolition area will close at 2 p.m. that day
Hours of operation at recreation and cultural arts facilities in the city will vary as follows:
- Arlington Park and Aquatic Complex, located at 2650 Waldemere St., will be closed.
- Bobby Jones Golf Club, located at 1000 Circus Blvd., will be open for regular hours: 6:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.
- Children’s Fountain in Bayfront Park, located at the intersection of Ringling Boulevard and Bayfront Drive, will be open from 10 a.m. to 7 p.m. The next day, it will begin its fall hours (10 a.m. to 5 p.m.).
- Lido Pool, located at 400 Benjamin Franklin Drive, will be closed.
- Payne Park Tennis Center, located at 2050 Adams Lane, will be open from 7:30 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- Robert L. Taylor Community Complex, located at 1845 John Rivers St., will be open for limited hours: 6 to 10 a.m.
- The box office at the Van Wezel Performing Arts Hall, located at 777 N. Tamiami Trail, will be closed.
The regular City Commission meeting will be held on Tuesday, Sept. 3, at 1:30 p.m. and 6 p.m. in the Commission Chambers at City Hall, 1565 First St.
For more information on City of Sarasota garbage and recycling collections, contact the Solid Waste Division at 365-7651.
All Sarasota County libraries and recreational centers will be closed on Sept. 2, the county news release says, and Sarasota County Area Transit (SCAT) buses will not operate that day. However, the Siesta Key Breeze trolley will run from 8 a.m. to 10 p.m. on Sept. 2, the release notes.
All solid waste facilities, including the Central County Landfill, the Citizens’ Convenience Center and the Chemical Collection centers, will be closed for the holiday.
For more information about county facilities or services, call the county Contact Center at 861-5000 or visit scgov.net.