Garbage and recycling collections to be shifted for Thursday and Friday customers, with no pickups on Thanksgiving
Most County and City of Sarasota government offices and services, including the Florida Department of Health in Sarasota County, will be closed Thursday, Nov. 28, and Friday, Nov. 29, in observance of the Thanksgiving holiday, the two local governments have announced.
The collections of garbage, recycling and yard waste will be adjusted for the holiday, news releases point out.
In both the unincorporated areas of the county and in the city of Sarasota, no curbside collection services will be offered on Thursday, Nov. 28, the releases explain.
All remaining collections will be delayed by one day: Friday, Nov. 29, will be the collection day for Thursday customers;
Saturday, Nov. 30, will be the collection day for Friday customers, the releases add.
In regard to Sarasota County Area Transit (SCAT) bus service, the county news release points out that the Siesta Key Breeze trolley will operate on a normal schedule. However, regular bus service will be suspended on Thanksgiving Day.
The SCAT administration office and downtown transfer station’s customer service window will be closed, as well, on Thursday and Friday, the county news release notes.
Full bus services will resume on a normal schedule on Friday, Nov. 29, the release says.
All county solid waste facilities, including the Central County Landfill, the Citizen’s Convenience Center and both of the chemical collection centers, will be closed on Thanksgiving, the county release adds.
Sarasota County’s chemical collection centers, located at 8750 Bee Ridge Road in Sarasota and 250 S. Jackson Road in Nokomis, along with the Re-Uz-It Shop located at 8750 Bee Ridge Road and the Citizens’ Convenience Center located at 4010 Knights Trail Road in Nokomis, will be closed on Nov. 28, the release says. They will return to a normal schedule on Friday, Nov. 29.
All three centers will be open on Saturday, Nov. 30, and the Central County Landfill will remain open until 5 p.m. that day, the release points out.
Libraries and the county’s Historical Resources center also will be closed on Thursday and Friday.
Libraries will resume normal operations on Saturday, Nov. 30. However, the Historical Resources center will not reopen until Monday, Dec. 2, the release notes.
Knight Trail Park pistol and rifle range will be closed on Wednesday, Nov. 27, and Thursday, Nov. 28, the release adds. The range will resume normal hours — 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. — on Friday.
County recreation centers will be closed Thursday and Friday.
For more information, call the county Contact Center at 861-5000 or visit www.scgov.net.
Hours of operation at City of Sarasota recreational and cultural arts facilities will vary, as follows during, the holiday period:
- Arlington Park and Aquatic Complex, located at 2650 Waldemere St., will be closed both Thursday and Friday.
- Bobby Jones Golf Club, located at 1000 Circus Blvd.,willbe open for limited hours — 6:30 to 11 a.m. — on Thursday as it hosts the 11th Annual Turkey Shoot, including an 8:45 a.m. shotgun start on the British Course. The American Course will be open for 18-hole play from 6:30 to 9 a.m., and then for nine holes until 11 a.m. The Gillespie Executive Course will be open from 6:30 to 11 a.m. that day. Bobby Jones Golf Club will be open for its regular hours on Friday: 6:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.
- Lido Pool, located at 400 Benjamin Franklin Drive, will be open both Thursday and Friday for regular business hours: 10 a.m. to 4:45 p.m.
- Payne Park Tennis Center, located at 2050 Adams Lane in downtown Sarasota, will be closed Thursday and open for limited hours on Friday: 7:30 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- Robert L. Taylor Community Complex, located at 1845 John Rivers St., will be closed Thursday and open for limited hours on Friday: 6 to 10 a.m.
- The Van Wezel Performing Arts Hall, located at 777 N. Tamiami Trail, will close its box office for Thanksgiving and reopen it on Friday for regular hours.