Safety guidelines in effect as pandemic continues
The Sarasota County Clerk of the Circuit Court and County Comptroller has announced that jury trials will resume this month, so summonses have been issued.
“During these times, jury participation is crucial for restoring court services and ensuring access to justice,” a Clerk of Court news release says. “[W]e want you to know that Courts, Clerks, and lawyers are taking safe steps to protect your health and safety.”
The Clerk’s Office asks that persons who receive a jury summons to appear at the courthouse take steps to protect themselves, fellow residents, jurors, and their rights. “Here’s how to do so,” the release adds:
- “Call the number on the summons to find out if you need to report.
- “View our Jury Services page for instructions and information about current safety measures.
- “Follow health and safety measures to help protect yourself and others coming into the courthouse.
- “Do not report to the courthouse if you are sick or have tested positive for COVID-19. Contact our Jury Office for information, including how to request a jury excusal or postponement.
- “Plan to come early for additional safety screenings, including a temperature check and verbal health screening questions.