Several existing electric stations updated
The City of Sarasota, in partnership with Florida Power & Light Co. (FPL), recently added three new electric vehicle (EV) charging ports and updated seven existing ports in parking garages and surface lots, the city has announced.
Like the original EV charging stations installed in 2011, “these new and updated stations came at no cost to the City thanks to the renewable energy, energy efficiency and energy sustainability agreement” that is part of the 30-year franchise agreement with FPL, a news release points out.
The following are the locations of the new or updated EV Charging Stations:
- City Hall parking lot, located at 1565 First St.: one port added; one port updated.
- Palm Avenue parking garage, located at 1289 N. Palm Ave.: two ports added; four ports updated.
- St. Armands South Parking Lotat 58 Fillmore Drive: two ports updated.
EV charging ports are also available in the State Street garage and Bayfront Park parking lot, the release notes, and they will be available at the St. Armands garage after it has been constructed.
Altogether, the city offers 16 EV charging ports to residents and visitors at no cost, the release points out.
The new equipment, created by a company called ChargePoint, uses a screen-based operating system to connect drivers to a network of more than 40,000 other EV charging stations across the country, the release notes.
The initiative is a part of the city’s plan to cut greenhouse gas emissions, expand the use of renewable energy resources and create a sustainable community, the release explains.