Residents reminded not to use recycling carts for regular garbage or yard waste
Sarasota County staff has announced that residential recycling collections will resume on Monday, Oct. 17.
The service was suspended on Sept. 28 as a result of Hurricane Ian’s impacts on the county.
The following, staff noted, are “some important reminders for residents in unincorporated Sarasota County about recyclable materials”:
- Place recyclable materials loosely in the cart.
- Any recyclable materials with food and beverage residue are considered contaminated and should be placed in the trash for disposal.
- All recyclable materials should fit in the cart with the lid closed securely.
- To maximize space in your recycling cart, flatten/cut boxes and crush cans and soft plastics.
- Materials left outside of the recycling cart will not be collected.
- Place only recyclable materials in the cart. Do not use it for trash and/or yard waste.
While the recycling collections are expected to run on schedule, staff says, on any normal pick-up day, delays may occur because of the difficulty collection trucks may encounter in having to navigate roadway debris and other collection vehicles.