Garbage and recycling collections to remain on regular schedule
City and County of Sarasota administrative offices will be closed Monday, Nov. 11, in observance of the Veterans Day holiday, the local governments have announced.
Additionally, Sarasota County libraries, recreation centers and the Florida Department of Health in Sarasota County will be closed, a county news release points out.
City and county garbage, recycling and yard waste pickups will not be affected by the holiday, city and county news releases stress.
Hours of operation at city recreation and cultural arts facilities will vary, as follows:
- Arlington Park and Aquatic Complex, located at 2650 Waldemere St., will be closed.
- Bobby Jones Golf Club, located at 1000 Circus Blvd.,will be open for regular hours: 6:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.
- Lido Pool, located at 400 Benjamin Franklin Drive, will be closed.
- Payne Park Tennis Center, located at 2050 Adams Lane, will be open for limited hours: 7:30 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- Robert L. Taylor Community Complex, located at 1845 John RiversSt., will be open for limited hours: 6 to 10 a.m.
- Van Wezel Performing Arts Hall, located at 777 N. Tamiami Trail, will have its box office open.
The city, in conjunction with the Sarasota Patriotic Observance Committee, will host the 2019 Veterans Day parade and ceremony on Monday, Nov. 11, the city news release notes. The parade will begin at 10 a.m. at the intersection of Main Street and Osprey Avenue; it will end at Chaplain J.D. Hamel Park, which stands at the corner of Main Street and Gulfstream Avenue. The ceremony is expected to begin at 11 a.m.
This year’s parade theme is All Gave Some … Some Gave All … We May Not Know Them All … We Owe Them All, the news release adds.
The ceremony will feature retired U.S. Army Col. Michael P. Ryan as the guest speaker, the release continues. Ryan served 10 years as senior Army instructor at the Sarasota Military Academy in Sarasota, the release says.
A performance by the Sarasota Jazz Club Band also is planned at the ceremony, the release notes.
Additionally, the public is invited to the following free Veterans Day events, the county has announced:
- A ceremony will begin 10 a.m. at Patriots Park, located at800 Venetia Bay Blvd. in Venice.
- A veterans memorial ceremony will begin at 11 a.m. at the Englewood Veterans Memorial,located at 641 W. Dearborn Streetin Englewood.
Sarasota County Area Transit (SCAT) buses, including paratransit service and the Siesta Key Breeze trolley, will operate on a regular schedule on Nov. 11.
The Central County Landfill, located at 4000 Knights Trail Road in Nokomis, and the Citizens’ Convenience Center, located at 4010 Knights Trail Road in Nokomis, will be open from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. on Nov. 11, the county release adds. However, the Central County Landfill administrative office will be closed.
The Chemical Collection Center and Re-Uz-It Shop, located at 8750 Bee Ridge Road, will be open on Nov. 11, as well.
The Chemical Collection Center, located at 250 S. Jackson Road in Nokomis, will be closed, the release says.