Sessions run from May 13 through June 26 at various locations countywide
To help residents prepare for hurricane season, which officially will begin on June 1, the Sarasota County Emergency Management team will hold a series of free, public presentations starting next week and continuing through June 26, county staff has announced.
The sessions will offer members of the public an opportunity to meet the team “and learn the basics of disaster readiness: have a plan, opt-in to receive local emergency alerts, and prepare personal and family disaster kits,” a news release points out.
Additional resources to help community members prepare for hurricane season, including the Sarasota County All-Hazards Disaster Guide and a calendar of presentations, may be found on scgov.net/beprepared, the release adds.
The public presentation schedule is as follows:
- 9 a.m. to 1 p.m., May 13 — North Port Hurricane Expo at the George Mullin Activity Center, located at 1602 Kramer Way in North Port.
- 6 to 7 p.m.,May 16 — Shannon Staub Public Library, standing at 4675 Career Lane in North Port.
- 9 a.m. to 3 p.m., May 19 — Venice Hurricane Expo at the Venice Community Center, located at 326 Nokomis Ave. S. in Venice.
- 10 a.m. to 4 p.m., May 20— (not a presentation but staff will have a table at the event) SRQCon at Selby Public Library, standing at 1331 First St. in downtown Sarasota.
- 5 to 6:30 p.m., May 23 — North Port Public Library, located at 13800 S. Tamiami Trail in North Port.
- 2 to 3:30 p.m., June 3 — North Port Public Library, standing at 13800 S. Tamiami Trail in North Port.
- 11 a.m. to 1 p.m., June 7 — Frances T. Bourne Jacaranda Public Library, located at 4143 Woodmere Park Blvd. in Venice.
- 11 a.m. to 2 p.m., June 26 — Fruitville Public Library, which stands at 100 Apex Road in Sarasota.