No changes planned with waste collection schedule for city or county customers
City of Sarasota administrative offices and most Sarasota County Government offices will be closed on Monday, Jan. 20, in recognition of the Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Day holiday, the city and county have announced.
The Florida Department of Health in Sarasota County also will be closed, a county news release notes.
The collection schedules for garbage, recycling materials and yard waste will not be affected by the holiday, both city and county staff members emphasize in their releases.
Hours of operation at city recreation and cultural facilities will vary on Jan. 20, as follows:
- Arlington Park and Aquatic Complex, located at 2650 Waldemere St., will be closed.
- Bobby Jones Golf Club, located at 1000 Circus Blvd., is open 365 days a year.
- Lido Pool, located at 400 Benjamin Franklin Drive, will be closed.
- Payne Park Tennis Center, located at 2050 Adams Lane, will be open for limited hours — 7:30 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- Robert L. Taylor Community Complex, located at 1845 34th St., will be open for regular hours, from 6 a.m. to 8 p.m.
- The box office of the Van Wezel Performing Arts Hall, located at 777 N. Tamiami Trail, will be open from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.
The regular City Commission meeting will be held a day later than usual because of the holiday. It has been scheduled for Tuesday, Jan. 21, at 1:30 p.m. and 6 p.m. in the Commission Chambers at City Hall, which stands at 1565 First St. in downtown Sarasota, the city release notes.
Sarasota County Area Transit (SCAT), including the Siesta Key Breeze trolley, will operate on a normal bus schedule on Jan. 20, the county news release points out. However, the customer service stations at SCAT Administration and the downtown transfer station will be closed for the day, the release adds.
All Sarasota County recreation centers, plus the pistol and rifle range at Knight Trail Park, will be closed, the county release points out.
All Sarasota County libraries also will be closed.
Additionally, the administrative offices at the Central County Landfill — located at 4000 Knights Trail Road in Nokomis — and the Chemical Collection Center, located at 8750 Bee Ridge Road in Sarasota, will be closed on Jan. 20 for the holiday, county staff notes.
Further, Sarasota County’s Chemical Collection Center, located at 250 S. Jackson Road in Nokomis, will be closed on Jan. 20.
Conversely, Sarasota County’s Chemical Collection Center and Re-Uz-It Shop located at 8750 Bee Ridge Road in Sarasota, along with the Citizen’s Convenience Center located at 4010 Knights Trail Road in Nokomis, will be open on Jan. 20.