No residential garbage, recycling or yard waste pick-ups offered
City and County of Sarasota administrative offices will be closed for Labor Day on Monday, Sept. 6, the local governments have announced.
No residential garbage, recycling or yard waste pickups will be offered on Monday, Sept. 6, in the city or the county, news releases stress.
The collections will be take place in the city as follows: Monday pickups will occur on Tuesday, and Tuesday collections will occur on Wednesday. Thursday and Friday collections will not be interrupted.
Additionally, no commercial garbage collection will be offered in the city on Monday. “Solid Waste staff will coordinate with commercial customers to adjust their individual collections accordingly,” the city news release points out.
In the unincorporated areas of the county, the collections schedule will be adjusted as follows:
- Tuesday, Sept. 7 — Collection for Monday customers.
- Wednesday, Sept. 8 — Collection for Tuesday customers.
- Thursday, Sept. 9 — Collection for Wednesday customers.
- Friday, Sept. 10 — Collection for Thursday customers.
- Saturday, Sept. 11 — Collection for Friday customers.
In addition, the Central County Landfill will be open from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. on Saturday, Sept. 11, but the construction and demolition facility will close at 2 p.m. that day.
Hours of operation on Sept. 6 at City of Sarasota recreation and cultural arts facilities will vary, as follows:
- Arlington Park and Aquatic Complex, located at 2650 Waldemere St., will be open from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- Lido Pool, located at 400 Benjamin Franklin Drive, will beclosed.
- Nature Trails at Bobby Jones Golf Club, located at 1000 Circus Blvd., will be open from 7 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- Payne Park Tennis Center, located at 2050 Adams Lane,will be open from 8 a.m. to 1 p.m.
- Robert L. Taylor Community Complex, located at 1845 34th St., will be open from 6 to 10 a.m. The state-run COVID-19 testing site at this location will be closed, however.
- The box office of the Van Wezel Performing Arts Hall, located at 777 N. Tamiami Trail, will be closed.
The regular City Commission meetings will be held on Tuesday, Sept. 7, and Wednesday, Sept. 8, both beginning at 6 p.m. at City Hall, which stands at 1565 First St.
For more information on garbage and recycling collection in the city, contact the Solid Waste Division at 941-365-7651.
Other county closings
The Sarasota County Area Transit (SCAT) administrative office and downtown transfer station customer service window will be closed.
No regular SCAT bus services or SCAT Plus services will be offered.
Parks, Recreation and Natural Resources recreation facilities will be closed.
The Florida Department of Health in Sarasota County will be closed.
Sarasota County’s Chemical Collection Centers, located at 8750 Bee Ridge Road in Sarasota and 250 S. Jackson Road in Venice, will be closed; and the Citizens’ Convenience Center, located at 4010 Knights Trail Road in Nokomis, will be closed.
The administrative offices at the Central County Landfill, located at 4000 Knights Trail Road in Nokomis, and the Chemical Collection Center located at 8750 Bee Ridge Road in Sarasota will be closed. In addition, The Re-Uz-It Shop will be closed.
The Central County Landfill and administrative offices will be closed Monday, Sept. 6.
The Siesta Key Breeze and Sarasota County OnDemand service will operate on normal hours Sept. 6, the county news release says.