Newtown Juneteenth Celebration planned on Saturday from 1 to 8 p.m.
The City of Sarasota’s administrative offices will be closed Monday, June 20, in observance of the Juneteenth holiday, the city has announced.
Residential garbage, recycling and yard waste collection and commercial garbage collection schedules will be unaffected by the holiday, a news release notes.
Hours of operation at recreational and cultural arts facilities will be as follows:
- Arlington Park and Aquatic Complex, located at 2650 Waldemere St., will be open from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- Lido Pool, located at 400 Benjamin Franklin Drive, will be closed.
- Nature Trails at Bobby Jones Golf Club, located at 1000 Circus Blvd., remain closed during the ongoing golf course renovation and restoration project.
- Payne Park Tennis Center, located at 2050 Adams Lane, will be open from 8 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.
- Robert L. Taylor Community Complex, located at 1845 34th St., will be open from 6 to 10 a.m.
- The box office of the Van Wezel Performing Arts Hall, located at 777 N. Tamiami Trail, will be closed.
The city also is co-sponsoring the Newtown Juneteenth Celebration 2022 from 1 to 8 p.m. on Saturday, June 18, the release points out. The event will take place along Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Way, between Osprey Avenue and Dixie Avenue, the release adds. Food trucks, vendors, a DJ, live music and family-friendly activities will be the focus of the celebration, the release notes.
“Juneteenth commemorates the end of slavery in the United States and offers a time for reflection on African American history and the ongoing struggle for freedom and equality,” said Vice Mayor Kyle Battie in the release. “We’re proud to carry on the traditional Juneteenth observances with this special community event in the heart of Newtown, and we hope everyone can join us and help celebrate our shared history,” Battie added.