Garbage and yard waste collections will not be affected
All Sarasota County and City of Sarasota administrative offices, plus libraries, recreation centers and the Florida Department of Health-Sarasota, will be closed Friday, Nov. 11, in observance of Veterans Day, the two local governments have announced.
Garbage, recycling and yard waste will be collected as regularly scheduled for residential customers in unincorporated Sarasota County and in the city, news releases point out.
The following county facilities also will be closed on Nov. 11:
- Sarasota County’s Chemical Collection Center located at 8750 Bee Ridge Road in Sarasota. The Chemical Collection Center standing at 250 S. Jackson Road in Nokomis remains closed because of Hurricane Ian.
- The administrative office and Re-Uz-It Shop located at 8750 Bee Ridge Road in Sarasota will be closed.
- The administrative offices at the Central County Landfill, standing at 4000 Knights Trail Road in Nokomis, will be closed.
- Sarasota County Area Transit (SCAT) offices and customer service windows.
- The Sarasota County Emergency Rental Assistance Program Call Center.
On Nov. 11, SCAT bus service, including paratransit service and the Siesta Key Breeze and Mobility on Demand, will operate on their usual schedules, the county news release says.
The Central County Landfill, located at 4000 Knights Trail Road in Nokomis, and the Citizens’ Convenience Center standing at 4010 Knights Trail Road in Nokomis will be open from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. All individuals handling their unloading must arrive at least 30 minutes prior to the closing, county staff emphasizes.
In the city of Sarasota, hours of operation at recreational and cultural arts facilities for Nov. 11 will vary, as follow:
- Arlington Park and Aquatic Complex, located at 2650 Waldemere St., will be open from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- Lido Pool, located at 400 Benjamin Franklin Drive, will be open from 10 a.m. to 4:45 p.m.
- Nature Trails at Bobby Jones Golf Club, located at 1000 Circus Blvd., remain closed during the ongoing golf courserenovation and restoration project.
- Payne Park Tennis Center, located at 2050 Adams Lane, will be open from 7:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. (last court time at noon).
- Robert L. Taylor Community Complex, located at 1845 34th St., will be open from 6 to 10 a.m.
- The box office of the Van Wezel Performing Arts Hall, located at 777 N. Tamiami Trail, will open at 10 a.m.
The annual Veterans Day Parade and Ceremony will begin at 10 a.m. on Friday, Nov. 11, at Osprey Avenue in downtown Sarasota and will move east to west on Main Street, ending at Gulfstream Avenue, the city news release points out. The festivities will culminate in an 11 a.m. ceremony at Chaplain J.D. Hamel Park at the intersection of Gulfstream Avenue and Main Street.
For more information about garbage, recycling, and yard waste collections in the city, the public may contact the Solid Waste Division at 941-365-7651 or visit the Solid Waste webpage on www.SarasotaFL.gov.
Questions about city storm debris pickup should be directed to the established hotline at 941-984-9533