Garbage and recycling will not be collected on Nov. 23
Most County and City of Sarasota Government offices, including recreation centers, libraries and the county’s Historical Resources Center, along with the Sarasota County University of Florida Institute of Food and Agricultural Sciences Extension and Sustainability (UF/IFAS) office, will be closed Thursday, Nov. 23, and Friday, Nov. 24, in observance of the Thanksgiving holiday, the staffs have announced.
All county solid waste facilities, including the Central County Landfill, the Citizens’ Convenience Center and the Chemical Collection Centers, will be closed on Thursday, Nov. 23.
Because of Thanksgiving Day, collection schedules for garbage, recycling and yard waste will make a one-day shift for both county and city customers, news releases point out. No service will be provided in the city or county on Thursday, Nov. 23.
All remaining collections will be delayed by one day, as follows:
- Friday, Nov. 24 — collections for Thursday customers.
- Saturday, Nov. 25 — collections for Friday customers.
The county’s Breeze Transit administrative offices and ticket outlets will be closed, and the standard routes and Breeze Plus will not be operating, a news release says.
However, the Siesta Key Breeze trolley and Breeze OnDemand will operate from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. on Nov. 23 and Nov. 24, which are modified hours, the county release adds.
The Knight Trail Park pistol and rifle range will be closed Nov. 22 and Nov. 23. The range will resume normal hours — 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. — on Friday, Nov. 24.
The offices of the Florida Department of Health in Sarasota County will be closed Nov. 22 through Nov. 24.
Sarasota County’s Chemical Collection Center and The Re-Uz-It Shop located at 8750 Bee Ridge Road will be closed on Friday, Nov. 24. The Jackson Road Chemical Collection Center remains closed because of damage from Hurricane Ian, the county news release points out.
The Citizens’ Convenience Center standing at 4010 Knights Trail Road in Nokomis will be closed Thursday, but it will be open Friday, Nov. 24, from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Additionally, the Central County Landfill located at 4000 Knights Trail Road in Nokomis will be closed Thursday, but it will be open Friday, from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Further, the county release notes, the landfill will remain open until 5 p.m. on Saturday, Nov. 25, because of the holiday collection schedule.
However, the Construction and Demolition (C&D) area of the landfill will close at 2 p.m. on Nov. 25. All persons planning to unload materials by hand must arrive at least 30 minutes prior to closing, the release points out.
For more information about county services, call 311 or visit www.scgov.net.
In the city, hours of operation for facilities and services will vary, the city news release says:
- Arlington Park and Aquatic Complex, located at 2650 Waldemere St. — closed Nov. 23 and Nov. 24.
- The Bay Runner trolley will operate from 7 a.m. to 10 p.m. on Nov. 23 and from 7 a.m. to 11 p.m. on Nov. 24.
- Lido Pool, located at 400 Benjamin Franklin Drive — closed both Nov. 23 and Nov. 24.
- Payne Park Tennis Center, located at 2050 Adams Lane — closed both Nov. 23 and Nov. 24.
- Robert L. Taylor Community Complex, located at 1845 34th St. — closed both Nov. 23 and Nov. 24.
- The box office of the Van Wezel Performing Arts Hall, located at 777 N. Tamiami Trail will be closed on Nov. 23. On Nov. 24, it will open at 10 a.m.
For more information about garbage collections in the city, contact the Solid Waste Division at 941-365-7651.