Garbage, recycling collections to remain on regular schedule
Sarasota County and city administrative offices will be closed Friday, Nov. 10, in observance of Veterans Day, both local governments have announced.
Residential curbside garbage, recycling and yard waste collections and commercial garbage pickup schedules will not be affected, the city and county have pointed out in news releases.
Other county offices and facilities that will be closed follow:
- The Central County Landfill Administration Office.
- The Chemical Collection Center and The Re-Uz-It Shop located at 8750 Bee Ridge Road in Sarasota.
- The Jackson Road Chemical Collection Center remains closed because of damage it suffered during Hurricane Ian’s strike on Southwest Florida in September 2022.
- Knights Trail Park will be closed Friday, Nov. 10, and Saturday Nov. 11.
- Sarasota County Libraries and the Historical Resource Center facilities will be closed Friday, Nov. 10, and Saturday, Nov. 11, with the exception of the Shannon Staub Library, which will be open on Nov. 11, from 1 to 5 p.m.
- Breeze Transit administrative offices and ticket outlets.
- The University of Florida’s Institute of Food and Agricultural Sciences Sarasota County Extension Office (UF/IFAS).
- The Florida Department of Health-Sarasota.
County operations that will remain open are as follows:
- All Breeze services will operate at regular hours on Friday, Nov. 10.
- The Chemical Collection Center located at 8750 Bee Ridge Road will be open from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. on Saturday, Nov. 11.
- The Central County Landfill at 4000 Knights Trail Road and the Citizens’ Convenience Center at 4010 Knights Trail Road in Nokomis will be open from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. on Friday, Nov. 10, and from 8 a.m. to 2 p.m. on Saturday, Nov. 11. All individuals planning to unload materials by hand must arrive at least 30 minutes prior to closing.
For more information about county operations or facilities, call 311 or visit scgov.net.
City of Sarasota scheduling changes
Hours of operation at City of Sarasota recreation and cultural arts facilities for Nov. 10-11 will vary:
- Arlington Park and Aquatic Complex, located at 2650 Waldemere St. — Nov. 10, regular hours; Nov. 11 — 11 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- Lido Pool, located at 400 Benjamin Franklin Drive — closed on Nov. 10 and Nov. 11.
- Payne Park Tennis Center, located at 2050 Adams Lane — Nov. 10 and Nov. 11, regular hours.
- Robert L. Taylor Community Complex, located at 1845 34th St. — regular hours Nov. 10 and 11.
- The box office of the Van Wezel Performing Arts Hall, located at 777 N. Tamiami Trail, will open at 10 a.m. on both Nov. 10 and Nov. 11.
The annual Veterans Day Parade and Ceremony will begin at 10 a.m. on Saturday, Nov. 11, at the intersection of Osprey Avenue and Main Street in downtown Sarasota and move east to west, ending at Gulfstream Avenue. The festivities will culminate in an 11 a.m. ceremony at Chaplain J.D. Hamel Park at the corner of Gulfstream Avenue and Main Street.
The Bay Runner trolley will be operating on its normal schedule on both Friday, Nov. 10, and Saturday, Nov. 11, the release points out. However, the route will be adjusted on Nov. 11 because of the Veterans Day Parade, the release adds: From 7 a.m. to 5 p.m., the modified route will run from Ringling Boulevard/South School Avenue, just one block south of the normal route, to South Lido Key at Ted Sperling Park.
For more information on garbage and recycling collection, contact the Solid Waste Division at 941-365-7651.