Parade to begin at 10 a.m. on May 30 in downtown Sarasota
City and County of Sarasota administrative offices will be closed Monday, May 30, in observance of Memorial Day.
Residential garbage, recycling and yard waste collection schedules will be unaffected by the holiday, both local governments point out.
No disruption is anticipated with commercial garbage collection in the city, its staff says.
Hours of operation at City of Sarasota recreational and cultural arts facilities will be as follows:
- Arlington Park and Aquatic Complex, located at 2650 Waldemere St., will be open from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- Lido Pool, located at 400 Benjamin Franklin Drive, will be closed.
- Nature Trails at Bobby Jones Golf Club, located at 1000 Circus Blvd., remain closed during the ongoing golf course renovation and restoration project.
- Payne Park Tennis Center, located at 2050 Adams Lane, will be open from 8 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.
- Robert L. Taylor Community Complex, located at 1845 34th St., will be open from 6 to 10 a.m.
- The box office of the Van Wezel Performing Arts Hall, located at 777 N. Tamiami Trail, will be closed.
In conjunction with the Sarasota Patriotic Observance Committee, the city will host the annual Memorial Day parade at 10 a.m. Monday, May 30, in downtown Sarasota, to be followed by a ceremony at approximately 11 a.m. at Chaplain J.D. Hamel Park.
Because of the parade, the Bay Runner trolley will operate on a modified route from South Lido Beach at Ted Sperling Park to the Ringling Boulevard-Palm Avenue intersection; that will be in effect from 8 a.m. until the conclusion of the parade and ceremony, which is expected about noon on Monday, a city news release notes.
Members of the community also are invited to attend a dedication of a patriotic-themed public mural, Reveille, by artist Danielle Glaysher, at 6 p.m. on Monday, May 30, at the Veterans of Foreign Wars Sunshine Post 3233, located at 124 S. Tuttle Ave., the city release says. The mural was funded by the Karp Foundation, in coordination with the city’s Office of Public Art and Sarasota Mayor Erik Arroyo, who will attend Monday’s ceremony, the release adds.
For more information about garbage, recycling, and yard waste collection, contact the Solid Waste Division at 941-365-7651.
Along with the Sarasota County administrative offices, the following will be closed, a county news release notes:
- The Florida Department of Health-Sarasota County.
- The Sarasota County Area Transit (SCAT) administrative office and downtown transfer station customer service window.
Regular SCAT bus services and SCAT Plus services will be suspended on May 30. However, the Siesta Key Breeze and OnDemand services will operate at their normal hours.
- Parks, Recreation and Natural Resources recreational facilities.
- Sarasota County’s Chemical Collection Centers, located at 8750 Bee Ridge Road in Sarasota and at 250 S. Jackson Road in Venice.
- The administrative offices at the Central County Landfill, located at 4000 Knights Trail Road, and the Chemical Collection Center, which stands at 8750 Bee Ridge Road.
- The Re-Uz-It Shop.
The Central County Landfill and the Citizens’ Convenience Center, located at 4010 Knights Trail Road in Nokomis, will be open.