Garbage and recycling collection schedule will not be affected
Sarasota County Government and City of Sarasota offices, including the Florida Department of Health in Sarasota County, will be closed Monday, Jan. 21, for the national observance of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.’s birthday, the county and city have announced.
Nonetheless, the collection schedule for solid waste, yard waste and recyclables will not be affected by the holiday in either the county or the city, news releases stress. All materials will be picked up as usual, the releases add.
The following will be closed on Jan. 21:
- The Sarasota County Area Transit (SCAT) administrative office and downtown Sarasota transfer station customer service window.
- Sarasota County’s Chemical Collection Center, located at 250 S. Jackson Road in Venice.
- Knight Trail Park pistol and rifle rang near Nokomis.
- Recreation centers.
- The administrative office at the Chemical Collection Center at 8750 Bee Ridge Road in Sarasota.
Regular bus service will be provided, and the Siesta Key Breeze trolley will operate at normal hours on Jan. 21, the county release notes.
Sarasota County’s Chemical Collection Center, located at 8750 Bee Ridge Road in Sarasota, and the Citizens’ Convenience Center, located at 4010 Knights Trail Road in Nokomis, will be open on Jan. 21, the county release points out.
For more information about county facilities, call the county Contact Center at 861-5000 or visit www.scgov.net.
For the City of Sarasota, hours of operation at recreation and cultural facilities will vary, as follows:
- Arlington Park and Aquatic Center, located at 2650 Waldemere St., will be open for regular hours (9:30 a.m. to 7 p.m.).
- Bobby Jones Golf Club, located at 1000 Circus Blvd., is open 365 days a year.
- Lido Pool, located at 400 Benjamin Franklin Drive, will be closed.
- Payne Park Tennis Center, located at 2050 Adams Lane, will be open from 7:30 a.m. to noon.
- Robert L. Taylor Community Complex, located at 1845 34th St., will be open for regular hours (6 a.m. to 8 p.m.).
- Van Wezel Performing Arts Hall, located at 777 N. Tamiami Trail, will have its box office open from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.
The regular City Commission meeting will be held a day later than usual, on Tuesday, Jan. 22, at 1:30 p.m. and at 6 p.m. in the Commission Chambers at City Hall, located at 1565 First St.