Events planned at public libraries in North County and South County
Sarasota County staff will host a series of workshops at county libraries in coming weeks in the continuing effort to educate the public about the county’s flood zones, the county has announced.
“The workshops are intended to educate residents, lenders and insurance and real estate agents about flood risks, zones, maps, regulations and mandatory insurance purchase requirements,” a news release explains. Attendees also will “find out why flood zone maps are continuously updated,” the release adds.
All the workshops have been scheduled from 10:15 a.m. to noon, the news release points out.No registration is required.
Upcoming workshop dates and locations follow:
- Gulf Gate Library, located at 7112 Curtiss Ave. in Sarasota — Sept. 17, Oct. 8 and Oct. 29.
- Jacaranda Library, located at 4143 Woodmere Park Blvd. in Venice — Sept. 18.
- Elsie Quirk Library, located at 100 Dearborn St. in Englewood — Sept. 25 and Nov. 6.
- North Port Library, located at 13800 Tamiami Trail in North Port — Oct. 1.
- Fruitville Library, located at 100 Coburn Road in Sarasota — Oct. 23.
- Selby Library, located at 1331 First St. in Sarasota — Nov. 5.
In addition to the flood zone workshops, Sarasota County staff will host sessions about grants that are available for the first time this year for structural modifications. Those workshop details follow:
- Tuesday, Sept. 24 — 10:15 a.m. to noon at Selby Library.
- Wednesday, Oct. 2 — 5:30 to 7:30 p.m. at Fruitville Library.
- Tuesday, Oct. 22 — 10:15 a.m. to noon at North Port Library.
To see the full list of 2019 workshops or for more information, call the county Contact Center at 861-5000 or visit scgov.net.