Third left-turn lane for eastbound traffic on Gulfstream Avenue planning to head north to be reinstated
Beginning the week of March 1, the second phase of construction for the U.S. 41-Fruitville Road Roundabout Project will begin, including the closure of westbound Fruitville Road from Cocoanut Avenue to U.S. 41, the City of Sarasota announced on Feb. 28.
“This closure is part of a new traffic pattern that is expected to be in effect through Summer 2020,” a news release said, in bold.
The following new traffic patterns will go into effect during Phase 2, the release pointed out:
- Traffic will be shifted to the west on U.S. 41 on a newly completed traffic diversion roadway, so crews can begin construction of the roundabout on the east side of U.S. 41.
- Two lanes of traffic will be maintained in each direction on U.S. 41 during this phase of construction with this realignment.
- Westbound Fruitville Road will be closed to all traffic from Cocoanut Avenue to U.S. 41.
- The left-turn movement from northbound U.S. 41 to westbound Boulevard of the Arts will be reinstated.
- The traffic signal at the U.S. 41-Fruitville Road intersection will be switched to flashing yellow lights until the traffic switch has been completed. “As part of Phase 2, this signal will be removed in the coming weeks,” the release points out.
- Eastbound travel lanes on Fruitville Road from U.S. 41 to Cocoanut Avenue will remain open.
- The third left-turn lane from Gulfstream Avenue onto northbound U.S. 41 will be reinstated.
- No access will be provided from U.S. 41 to Fourth Street or the alleys located between First Street and Fifth Street during Phase 2 construction.
How to get around the construction
“To bypass traffic on U.S. 41 within and around the project limits, the primary route to travel is Lemon Avenue, whether your destination is north of downtown Sarasota or on Longboat Key,” the news release says. “Local businesses in the project limits are accessible,” it adds, encouraging the public to support them.
The U.S. 41-Fruitville Road roundabout is being constructed by Wright Construction Group Inc. for the Quay Sarasota, on behalf of the City of Sarasota, in cooperation with the Florida Department of Transportation, the release explains.