Administrative offices and other facilities to be closed on June 19
The City of Sarasota’s administrative offices will be closed Monday, June 19, in observance of the Juneteenth national holiday, the city has announced.
“Residential garbage, recycling, yard waste collection and commercial garbage collection schedules will be unaffected by the holiday,” a news release points out.
Hours of operation at recreation and cultural arts facilities will be as follows:
- Arlington Park and Aquatic Complex, located at 2650 Waldemere St., will be open from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- Lido Pool, located at 400 Benjamin Franklin Drive, will be closed.
- Bobby Jones Golf Club remains closed for renovations.
- Payne Park Tennis Center, located at 2050 Adams Lane in downtown Sarasota, will be open from 7:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m.
- Robert L. Taylor Community Complex, located at 1845 34th St., will be open from 6 to 10 a.m.
- The box office of the Van Wezel Performing Arts Hall, located at 777 N. Tamiami Trail, will be closed.
Additionally, the release points out, the city is co-sponsoring the Sarasota Newtown Juneteenth Block Party from 11 a.m. to 7 p.m. on Saturday, June 17. The event will take place along Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Way, between Osprey Avenue and Pershing Avenue, the release notes. The event will include food trucks, vendors, a DJ, live music, and family-friendly activities.
“It’s an honor to co-sponsor this event, which illustrates how inclusive and welcoming we are as a community,” said Mayor Kyle Battie in the release, adding, “As the No. 1 place to live in Florida, it’s more vital than ever to find inspiration for the future by remembering the past.”