Eligible persons encouraged to apply for help through county website or by working with ‘ambassadors’ at locations countywide
Approximately one week after applications opened, Sarasota County’s $13-million Emergency Rental Assistance Program, in partnership with the Sarasota County Clerk of Circuit Court and County Comptroller Office, has approved the first payment, county staff has reported.
That payment, for $5,700, was issued on May 11 for rental assistance, a news release said. The Emergency Rental Assistance Program (ERAP) pays landlords and utility companies directly, the release pointed out.
As noon on May 12, the release added, 432 applications were in progress, 332 applications had been submitted and the solitary application had been paid, for a total of 765 applications to the Emergency Rental Assistance Program, the release said.
Last week, ERAP “ambassadors” — who are stationed at libraries and other public facilities throughout the county — assisted more than 100 applicants, the release added.
Those locations are as follows:
- Betty J. Johnson Library, located at 2801 Newtown Blvd. in Sarasota — 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Monday through Thursday;10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Friday and Saturday.
- Fruitville Library, located at 100 Apex Road in Sarasota — 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Monday through Thursday; 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Friday and Saturday.
- Englewood CRA, located at 370 W. Dearborn, Suite D, in Englewood — by appointment only, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday.
- Laurel Community Center, located at 509 Collins Road in Nokomis —by appointment only; 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Thursday; 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Friday.
- North Port Social Services, located at 6919 Outreach Way in North Port — by appointment only; 8:30 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday through Friday.
- Goodwill, located at 1781 Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Way in Sarasota — 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday through Friday.
Further, since the launch of applications on May 5, 539 calls related to ERAP have been answered by the call center set up for the program and the Sarasota County Contact Center. The ERAP call center is available from 8 a.m. to 7 p.m. Monday through Friday: 941-861-RENT (7368).
Landlords and renters who believe they may be eligible for the program are encouraged to apply for assistance at scgov.net/rent.
For more information on ERAP, including eligibility criteria, required documents, Frequently Asked Questions and program ambassadors, visit scgov.net/rent or by calling 941-861-RENT (7368).