Closures expected to end in early January 2020; patrons encouraged to use other county libraries
Two Sarasota county public libraries will close temporarily while they undergo structural and cosmetic maintenance, as well as upgrades, the county has announced.
The changes will be made “to enhance the library user’s experience and maintain the integrity of the buildings,” a county news release explains.
The North Port Public Library, which will close beginning Nov. 25, will undergo interior cosmetic changes, upgrades to lighting and installation of a new chiller and air handling system, the release explains. The three nearest libraries are as follows:
- Francis T. Bourne Jacaranda Public Library, located at 4143 Woodmere Park Blvd. in Venice, which is served by Sarasota County Area Transit (SCAT) Route 16.
- Shannon Staub Public Library, located at 4675 Career Lane in North Port, which is served by SCAT Route 9.
- Elsie Quirk Public Library, located at 100 W. Dearborn St. in Englewood, which is served by SCAT Route 16.
Selby Public Library in downtown Sarasota will close beginning Dec. 15 for similar upgrades, the release says. Its patrons are invited to visit the following locations for full library services:
- Betty J. Johnson North Sarasota Public Library, located at 2801 Newtown Blvd. in Sarasota, which is served by SCAT Route 7.
- Fruitville Public Library, located at 100 Coburn Road, which is served by SCAT Route 1.
- Gulf Gate Public Library, located at 7112 Curtiss Ave., which is served by SCAT Routes 5 and 6.
Library services are expected to resume in early January 2020 at both the North Port and Selby libraries, the release points out. During the closures, library users still will have access to their accounts online or through the county’s mobile library application; patrons are encouraged to visit alternative locations for full services, the release adds.
Limited services will be available in both the North Port and Selby library meeting rooms from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m., Monday through Saturday, the release says. Among those limited services will be pick-up for materials on hold, materials return and reference assistance.
For more information, call the county Contact Center at 861-5000.