No garbage or recycling collections will take place in city or county on July Fourth
City and County of Sarasota administrative offices and facilities will be closed on Tuesday, July Fourth, for the national holiday, both local governments have announced.
“All trash, recycling and yard waste collection services will be delayed by one day,” county staff has pointed out, with emphasis. Curbside collections will continue after July Fourth as follows for unincorporated county customers:
- Wednesday, July 5 — collections for Tuesday customers.
- Thursday, July 6 — collections for Wednesday customers.
- Friday, July 7 — collections for Thursday customers.
- Saturday, July 8 — collections for Friday customers.
For City of Sarasota customers, no residential garbage, recycling or yard waste pickups will be provided on Tuesday. “Tuesday pickups will be delayed until Wednesday,” the city release adds. “Service will not change on Thursday and Friday,” July 6 and July 7, the release notes.
The following county facilities will be closed on July Fourth:
- Sarasota County Libraries and Historical Resources’ facilities.
- Sarasota County Transit administrative office, the Downtown Station and the Venice Train Depot customer service windows.
- Transit bus and Plus services.
- Parks, Recreation and Natural Resources recreation facilities.
- The Florida Department of Health in Sarasota County.
- All solid waste facilities, including the Central County Landfill and administrative office (4000 Knights Trail Road in Nokomis); the Citizens’ Convenience Center (4010 Knights Trail Road in Nokomis); and the Chemical Collection Center disposal, its administrative office and The Re-Uz-It Shop (8750 Bee Ridge Road in Sarasota).
- The Collection Center disposal facility located at 250 S. Jackson Road in Venice remains closed because of damage from Hurricane Ian.
The county landfill will remain open until 5 p.m. on Saturday, July 8, because of the holiday collection schedule; however, the Construction and Demolition (C&D) area will close at 2 p.m., the release points out.
OnDemand rides and the Siesta Key Breeze trolley will operate at their normal hours, the release says.
Hours of operation at City of Sarasota recreation and cultural arts facilities on July Fourth will be as follows:
- Arlington Park and Aquatic Complex, located at 2650 Waldemere St., will be closed.
- Lido Pool, located at 400 Benjamin Franklin Drive, will be closed.
- The Bobby Jones Golf Club remains closed for renovations.
- Payne Park Tennis Center, located at 2050 Adams Lane in downtown Sarasota,will be closed.
- Robert L. Taylor Community Complex, located at 1845 34th St., will be closed.
- The box office of the Van Wezel Performing Arts Hall, located at 777 N. Tamiami Trail, will be closed.
The Bay Runner trolley will have an adjusted route, operating from 7 to 10 p.m. Tuesday, July Fourth. That day, the last downtown stop will be on South Pineapple Avenue, the release says. Then the Bay Runner will continue over the Ringling Bridge until its next stop at Sarasota Harbour West.
For more information regarding closures and safety measures in the city, visit the Sarasota Police Department’s website.